I've had the best VPI plan offered on both my cats for 2 years now.I just recently had to submit my first claim.

I found out yesterday that the benefit I will be receiving for $794.00 out of pocket "˜so far' to keep my pet from eminent death is $132.00. However, if a $2500 surgery had been necessary VPI was prepared to offer up an additional $157.00 which would include hospitalization, anesthesia and injections, the actual surgery reimbursement would have fallen under $60. What I received in return for this claim was equivalent to 4 months of premiums for this one cat. I now know there are better pet insurance companies that actually offer legitimate insurance, meaning that they pay out realistic reimbursements of medical fees consistent with actual fees charged somewhere within the free world.

They aren't difficult to find either just Google pet insurance, one of the companies pays 80% on claims on all polices beginning after two weeks of commencement of the policy. A VPI supervisor "Marsha Bryant" told me yesterday that she has actually seen reimbursements from VPI to pet owners of $5000, which is what my maximum benefit is per incident is, however, she added that the out-of-pocket to the owner on the care they were reimbursing was $20.000.00. Compared to my benefits that does seem generous and if you have 20K to pay out of pocket you too might be so fortunate otherwise, I would advise that you take these numbers into close consideration before signing up your beloved pet with VPI.

This is not insurance by definition, and it is by design that they use the reimbursement schedule implemented in the policies to take needed funds from those with sick pets.That has to be the intended result being that it is the known outcome on majority of the claims.

Comments

I also looked into pet insurance and found it to be not a wise investment.I did not want to have to put one of my dogs down because I couldn't afford the vet bill in an emergency but all the insurance plans were so-so on coverage and so high on premiums.

I found a solution I could live with..."Care Credit". It's a line of credit similar to a credit card but only authorized for medical, dental and vet use.

You don't pay a cent until you use it and they even have a no interest option for paying in full within a specified number of months.It's like having the insurance without the premiums, you do end up paying for all the vet costs but under a payment plan you can afford and the piece of mind is priceless.